20] I am not the body [Three
in number – Sthula,
Sukshma and Karana] nor the (fleeting) objects of
the senses; and not to speak of a wife, a son, property or
riches, I am not Ahankára (Egoism), the Pranas [Vital
airs — five in number — Pran, Apan, Vyan, Udyan
and Aman] nor Buddhi (spiritual Ego); I am the everlasting,
the witness (of what was, is or would be) the Pratyagatmá.
I am the Siva.
2. Verily as the words of the wise dispel the delusion of mistaking the rope for the snake, the instruction of the Guru destroys the false notion of conceiving (oneself) as Jiva (embodied self). I am the Siva.
3. There is nothing in the cosmos but I. And it is in me the non-dual, and through Maya (illusion), the phenomenal world assumes reality like the reflection (of objects) in the mirror. I am the Siva.
4. As in the stupefication of sleep even the unreal appears as real, Mohâ (infatuation) causes this world (of objects) to shine out as real in Atma of the form of Sat (truth), Chit (consciousness) and Anandam (bliss). I am the untainted, the perfect, the everlasting, the non-dual. I am the Siva.
5. I am not born. I do not grow. I do not perish. These (birth, growth and death) are spoken of the body as but virtues of Prakriti. [Cf. Bhagavat Gita, Chaps 2 and 3, vs 20 and 27] The power to generate action belongs to (is with) the Atma — the Chinmaya — the all-consciousness — and not to Ahankara (embodied personality). I am the Siva.
6. I am not the body — what are births and deaths to me ? I am not the Pranas — what are hunger and thirst to me ? I am not Chittam (mind), grief and delusion. I have none; I am not the doer of liberation (Moksha) or bondage. I have none.
to Top of this page
Back to our On Line Documents
Back to our Main Page
A free sample copy of our bilingual magazine can be sent to you. This offer is only good for a mailing to a Canadian address. You have to supply a mailing address.
The Canadian membership of $25.00 includes the receipt of four seasonal issues of our magazine "The Light Bearer" . If you are a resident of Canada send a note to email@example.com requesting a packet of information and your free copy of our magazine
For membership outside of Canada send a message to the International Secretary in Adyar, India firstname.lastname@example.org
For a problem viewing one of our documents
- or to report an error in a document - send a note to the
webmaster at email@example.com
We will try to answer any other query -if you would send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org
This document is a
publication of the
Canadian Theosophical Association (a regional association of the Theosophical Society in Adyar)
89 Promenade Riverside,
St-Lambert, QC J4R 1A3
To reach the President - Pierre Laflamme dial 450-672-8577
or Toll Free - from all of Canada 866-277-0074
or you can telephone the national secretary at 905-455-7325